Umwelt, Through the Looking Glass (de l'autre côté des miroirs) Compagnie Maguy Marin
DDF Digital 2023 / On Demand
Experience Maguy Marin’s Umwelt from the viewpoints of both the audience and the dancers
22 Nov—03 Dec
David Mambouch's mesmerising film offers a unique perspective on the renowned 2004 dance masterpiece, Umwelt by French icon Maguy Marin.↓ Read more
Or enjoy all four DDF Digital 2023 films for €15. Simply purchase all four films in one transaction and the discount will be automatically applied to your cart.
Share this event
No longer available – on demand stream ended Sunday 3 Dec
‘Maguy Marin has been a major figure in French contemporary dance... and her unrelenting originality shows no sign of abating... her work poses important questions about why we go to the theater and what we expect when we are there.’
The New York Times
This enduring performance is composed of 420 brief scenes depicting fragments of everyday human activities, each just 10 seconds long. Within a surreal landscape of doors and mirrors, nine performers move through these seemingly banal vignettes to create a captivating portrayal of life's relentless struggle. As the world they inhabit teeters towards chaos, we bear witness to our own constant battle to exist within the "Umwelt" – the world that surrounds us.
Meanwhile, behind the scenes, a meticulously choreographed dance unfolds with exacting precision and focus. In this structured, individualistic environment self-reliance reigns supreme. Each dancer carries out their tasks flawlessly, from managing props to quick costume changes, to ensure a seamless presentation to the audience.
Remarkably, amidst this complexity, the dancers demonstrate outstanding teamwork, emphasising that collective effort is essential for the wellbeing of all. This film is a fascinating exploration of life's intricacies from the viewpoints of both the participant and the spectator.
- Concept & Choreography Maguy Marin
- Featuring Ulises Alvarez, Kaïs Chouibi, Chandra Grangean, Louise Mariotte, Lise Messina, Isabelle Missal, Paul Pedebideau, Rolando Rocha, Ennio Sammarco
- Director David Mambouch
- Cinematography Pierre Grange
- Camera Operators Pierre Grange, David Mambouch, Pascaline Manachère
- Equipment Coralie Verdier
- Sound Engineer Philippe Vincent
- Data Manager Pascaline Manachère
- Colour Grading Pierre Grange, David Mambouch
- Editing & Mixing David Mambouch
- Production Manager Laure Delavier
- Produced by Maguy Marin Company
- Co-produced by Lux - Scène nationale de Valence Lux
The film was shot à La Comédie de Saint-Etienne – CDN in May 2022