Gravel (re)Works Frédérick Gravel / Jean-Christophe Yacono (Yako)
DDF Digital 2023 / On Demand
(Canada / France)
Be transported to the heart of live performance with this innovative fusion of music, dance and photography, drawing from the choreography of Frédérick Gravel.
22 Nov—03 Dec
Artists Frédérick Gravel and Jean-Christophe Yacono (Yako) join forces to craft a video album that defies conventions. Released this year, Gravel (re)Works weaves together music, dance, and photography in this compilation of five short works, inspired by Gravel's choreography.
Or enjoy all four DDF Digital 2023 films for €15. Simply purchase all four films in one transaction and the discount will be automatically applied to your cart.
Share this event
No longer available – on demand stream ended Sunday 3 Dec
‘Gravel (re)Works is an opportunity for the choreographer to return to his first aesthetic loves, short song and dance pieces, presented as a video album this time.’
Interview with Enora Rivière
‘Frédérick Gravel is one of the pioneers of the new wave of choreographers who are breaking down the image of elitism in contemporary dance to make it more accessible [...] Having everything to prove, he is poised as a rising star of the international dance scene.’
Born during the pandemic, this project is a bold response to the digital age. Re-imagining live performance through visual storytelling, it explores how the camera can capture and share the electric energy of live work, opening up new possibilities for creative collaboration.
The resulting film intimately marries the dancing body with the camera. Through its lens, we are immersed in the choreography. Through the soundscape and music, we connect with the performer’s voice, breath, the rhythm of footsteps, and the sensation of feet gliding across the floor, intensifying the essence of a live show.
Gravel re(works) is a testament to innovation and ingenuity, a film that transports us to the very heart of the performance, in the here and now.
- A co-creation by Frédérick Gravel and Jean-Christophe Yacono (yako)
- Produced by DLD | Artistic Direction Frédérick Gravel
- Co-production, Choreography and Music Fred Gravel
- Co-production, Photography/Cinematography yako
- Rehearsal Director Jamie Wright
- Dancers David Albert Toth, Alexia Martel, Nubian Néné, Fred Gravel, Francis Ducharme, Louise Michel Jackson, Chi Long, Philippe Dépelteau, Noémie Dufour Campeau, Carlos Mendoza, Stacey Désilier, Kimberley De Jong, Abe Simon Mijnheer, Jacynthe Desjardins, Jean-Benoit Labrecque
- Musical Direction and Production Philippe Brault
- Musicians Philippe Brault, José Major and Fred Gravel
- Artistic Direction, Costume Designer Geneviève Lizotte
- Costumes, Hair and Make-up Studio ZX, Vicky Bertrand-Ouellette
- Sound Design and Mixing Bruno Pucella
- Editing In Motion Veritas (yako)
- Colour Correction Post-moderne
- Technical Team François Legris, Philippe Saint-Laurent, Jacques Girard, Ian Deraspe-Guay and Augustin Binette
- Production Management Alice Renucci
- Production Manager Laurent Forget
- Postproduction Post-moderne (Laurence, Patricia, Alexandre)
- Postproduction In Motion Veritas (yako)
- Graphic Design, Titles and Subtitles In Motion Veritas (yako)
With the support of Danse Danse, La Sala Rossa and Canada Arts Council.