The Pretty Things Compagnie Catherine Gaudet
A cathartic journey to liberation via repetition and revolt – necessary, authentic and powerful
In this critically acclaimed dance work, award-winning Canadian choreographer Catherine Gaudet brings us on a journey from naivety and conformity to liberation and power.↓ Read more
€22 full price / €18 conc.
Project Arts Centre, Space Upstairs
55 min (No interval)
Share The Pretty Things
From the show
"Gaudet fascinates, astonishes and destabilizes with her choreographic proposals, which often involve the repetition of gestures and the modulation of bodies until the surface of things cracks, until the cathartic state is reached."
“A dance that oscillates between the civilized world and the space of impulses, where the bodies are in turn subjected to social constraints and then to a burst of animality and sensuality … she has reached a stunning virtuosity this time."
"Les Jolie Choses is a tour de force"
Five bodies move to the rhythm of a metronome, their mechanical gestures endlessly repeating. The machine runs wild, demanding their absolute compliance. Together with her loyal collaborators - the dancers - Gaudet wields her highly accomplished choreographic language to study the false pretences of the show business apparatus and seek out a space where desires can be reborn.
As the dancers become consumed by the rigorous choreographic score, the relentless repetition becomes unbearable. Pushing open the whistling valve, the release of pressure is the opposite of phony grandeur – necessary, authentic, cathartic and powerful.
- Choreography Catherine Gaudet
- Performers Dany Desjardins, Caroline Gravel, James Phillips, Lauren Semeschuk. Scott McCabe, cannot perform due to illness.
- Music Antoine Berthiaume
- Assistant Dramaturg and Rehearsal Director Sophie Michaud
- Lighting Design Hugo Dalphond
- Costume Design Marilène Bastien
- Produced by Compagnie Catherine Gaudet
- Co-produced by Festival TransAmériques; Agora de la danse; Centre Chorégraphique National de Caen; Réseau CanDance (Toronto); Centre national des Arts (Ottawa); Harbourfront Center (Toronto); DLD-Daniel Léveillé Danse.
The dancers in tonight's performance are Dany Desjardins, Caroline Gravel, James Phillips, Lauren Semeschuk. Please note that Scott McCabe cannot perform due to illness.
Creative Residencies: Daniel Léveillé Danse & Agora de la danse DEVELO
Catherine Gaudet is a member of Circuit-Est center de chorégraphie (Montreal)