Childs | Carvalho | Lasseindra | Doherty Ballet national de Marseille - Direction (LA)HORDE
Four choreographies by distinctive and exceptional artists, each offering a contrasting yet complementary style.
Ranging from meticulously structured to fiercely energetic in style, this varied programme of four short pieces is an encounter between two different concepts of dance.↓ Read more
Share Childs | Carvalho | Lasseindra | Doherty
Available to watch in Ireland, Northern Ireland and the UK only
Available to Watch
7pm, Wed 19 May – 11:59pm, Sun 23 May
From the show
“The Marseille dancers, many of whom performed in all four works, deserve much praise for their commitment to these wildly different dance styles.”
The New York Times
“The program curated by the Ballet National de Marseille has something to mark a turning point in European choreographic creation.”
“The thrilling precision and permutations, the alternations between motion and stasis, come to feel like a kind of virtuosity, a world of cool perfection you’re sorry to leave.”
The New York Times on Tempo Vicino’
“A piece by the pioneer Lucinda Childs, standard-bearer of postmodern minimalist dance: we remain once again overwhelmed by the correspondences between the sublime music of John Adams and the propagation of motifs from one dancer to another, from a duet next.”
“Tânia Carvalho: a formidably inventive and expressionist choreographic score, the bodies of the dancers come to life over projections that are as physically demanding as they are theatrically speaking.”
“Lasseindra Ninja’s Mood is explosive. Ninja is worthy representative of French-style voguing. She brings together the incarnations of an uninhibited, erotic, vibrant, formidably fetishistic feminine. The succession of swaying hips, cheerful circles, the ballet of red soles and platinum wigs draw an imaginary so exaggerated that it defuses any falsehood.”
“Lazarus by Oona Doherty : we then find ourselves in a resumed fury, one of those white anger to which the North Irish choreographer knows how to infuse so much grace and mystical fervor.”
On one hand, there’s the precision and clarity of Lucinda Childs and Tânia Carvalho, who share a strong sense of line and rhythm. On the other, the dynamism of queer icon of Voguing in France Lasseindra Ninja, who composes a lively group piece for the first time, and the trailblazing force of Oona Doherty, who transmits her visceral, urban solo work to 22 dancers from the Ballet national de Marseille.
By bringing together the diverse choreographic approaches of these four artists, the artistic directors of Ballet national de Marseille, performance collective (LA)HORDE, foster an inclusive and generous programme of dance that allows for a relationship across generations and styles.
This mixed bill premiered to an invited audience in Marseille in April 2021 amidst mounting restrictions in France. It also marked a significant moment in the company’s repertoire, with the dancers performing works by external dance-makers for the first time since (LA)HORDE took on the artistic directorship in 2019.
Enhance your Experience
By booking this event you will also get access to a video interview with Oona Doherty (DDF Artist in Residence) in conversation with Dr Aoife McGrath.
- Concept (LA)HORDE - Marine Brutti, Jonathan Debrouwer, Arthur Harel
- Choreographies Lucinda Childs, Tânia Carvalho, Lasseindra Ninja, Oona Doherty
- With the dancers of Ballet national de Marseille Sara Abicht, Rita Alves, Daniel Alwell, Mathieu Aribot, Nina-Laura Auerbach, Isaïa Badaoui, Magorzata Czajowska, Myrto Georgiadi, Vito Giotta, Nathan Gombert, Shynna Kalis, Nonoka Kato, Yoshiko Kinoshita, Angel Martinez Hernandez, Hugo Olagnon, Justin Patfoort, Tomer Pistiner, Aya Sato, Dovydas Strimaitis, Elena Valls Garcia, Nahimana Vandenbussche, Leonard Votan
- Commissioned by Théâtre de la Ville - Paris and Théâtre du Châtelet
- Production Ballet national de Marseille - direction (LA)HORDE
- Coproduction Théâtre de la Ville - Paris & Théâtre du Châtelet
- Tempo Vicino by Lucinda Childs (22min)
- Choreography & Costumes Lucinda Childs
- Music Son of Chamber Symphony - John Adams. Music courtesy of Boosey & Hawkes Music Publishers Limited.
- Light Recreation Eric Wurtz
- One Of Four Periods In Time by Tânia Carvalho (21min)
- Choreography & Costumes Tânia Carvalho
- Music Vasco Mendonça, interpreted by Drumming GP: Miquel Bernai, Pedro Oliveira, João Cunha & Rui Rodriguez.
- Lights Eric Wurtz
- Mood by Lasseindra Ninja (18min)
- Choreography Lasseindra Ninja
- Music Maboko Na Ndouzou - Boddhi Satva (main mix) / So Blessed - Djeff Afrozilla (main mix) / Untitled - Vjuan Allure / Gunsong - Heavy K / Throb - Janet Jackson mixed by Gabber Eleganza
- Costumes Erard Nellapin, Mugler by Casey CadWallader
- Lights Eric Wurtz
- Lazarus by Oona Doherty (8min)
- Choreography & Costumes Oona Doherty
- Assistant Choreographer Sandrine Lescourant - Mufasa
- External View Gabrielle Veyssière
- Music Miserere Mei - Deus D’Allegri mixed by Oona Doherty
- Lights Lisa Mary Barry, in collaboration with Eric Wurtz
- Rehearsal Coaches Valentina Pace, Thierry Hauswald
- Artistic Direction Julien Ticot
- Costumes Nicole Murru & Sandra Pomponio
- Light Engineer Delia Dufils
- Sound Engineer Fabien Minez
- Stage Engineer Rémi d’Apolito
The CCN Ballet national de Marseille - direction (LA)HORDE receives the support of DRAC Paca, Ministère de la Culture, Ville de Marseille and BNP Paribas Foundation.