The Misunderstanding of Myrrha Junk Ensemble
DDF Commission. Presented in partnership with the Abbey Theatre.
A bold and empowering retelling of an ancient Greek myth.
Award-winning dance innovators Junk Ensemble collaborate with acclaimed visual artist Alice Maher to present the long-awaited premiere of The Misunderstanding of Myrrha, a solo dance work that reawakens and reimagines an ancient Greek tale.↓ Read more
€22 full price / €18 conc.
50 mins (no interval)
Share The Misunderstanding of Myrrha
From the show
★★★★ “Junk Ensemble has created some of the most impressive contemporary dance in Ireland… Enthralling and exact.”
The Sunday Times
★★★★ “Dolores combines visual eloquence with the gut-punch of a victim impact statement.”
The Irish Times (on Dolores)
★★★★ “Exquisite and unforgettable.”
The Arts Review (on The Bystander)
Myrrha, cursed by Aphrodite to fall in love with her own father, soon falls pregnant with his child. To escape his wrath, Myrrha flees Arabia and begs the gods to take pity on her. Her prayers left unanswered by the gods, she is transformed into a myrrh tree, her tears of shame and sadness forming the resin that seeps from the tree’s bark.
In this bold retelling of the tale, Myrrha’s plight is told through her own, once-muted voice, and cycles through the trauma of her curse, the acceptance of her fate, and the rebirth of hope. Presented through intricate choreography, text, music and stunning visual design, Myrrha’s existence becomes a thing of beauty as she spits out her fate and declares herself a new being; beyond woman, man or tree.
- Creation Jessica Kennedy, Megan Kennedy, Alice Maher
- Direction & Choreography Jessica Kennedy, Megan Kennedy.
- Choreography created in collaboration with the performer.
- Performer Julie Koenig
- Scenography & Costume Design Alice Maher
- Lighting Design Stephen Dodd
- Composition Denis Clohessy
- Headpiece Artfx Ltd
- Costume Sarah Foley
- Producer Gwen Van Spÿk
- Assistant Producers Michelle Cahill, Sophie Coote
- Production Management: Barry O' Donovan, Nic Ree
- Stage Manager Fiona Keller
- Production Photographer Luca Truffarelli
- Publicity Images Fionn McCann