Encantado Lia Rodrigues
Presented by Dublin Dance Festival and the Abbey Theatre
A hypnotic journey into a world of enchantment which explores our connection to the earth
Encantado, the latest work by Brazilian choreographer Lia Rodrigues, reconnects us with the beauty and power of the natural world.↓ Read more
€13 – €40 (concession rates available)
Abbey Theatre, on the Abbey stage
60 mins (no interval)
Note: This show contains nudity
There will be a post-show discussion after the performance on Sat 21 May
From the show
“Beautiful, inspired, significant, Encantado is the perfect example of Lia Rodrigues’ talent to remind us of the pure beauty of natural connections, against artificiality.”
“Brazilian choreographer Lia Rodrigues enchants and intrigues with Encantado.”
In Brazil, the word ‘encantado’ has several meanings. It can mean enchanted or refer to a sense of wonder. It also alludes to the encantados, magical beings in Afro-American culture who are believed to traverse the natural landscape – the forests, the seas and the skies – transforming them into sacred places.
Dimly lit and moving in silence, 11 performers lay out a river of bold fabrics that flows across the stage. As the lights rise, the energy begins to vibrate and the dancers move to excerpts of songs of the Guarani people that call to recognise endangered ancestral territories. They shroud themselves in the fabric, becoming brightly patterned silhouettes, magical creatures and enchanted landscapes.
Created in the context of the current health and environmental crisis, this work invites us to tame our fears, to return to a natural source of strength to rediscover the power of the collective.
- Creation Lia Rodrigues in collaboration with the performers
- Performers Leonardo Nunes, Carolina Repetto, Valentina Fittipaldi, Andrey da Silva, Larissa Lima, Ricardo Xavier, Dandara Patroclo, David Abreu, Felipe Vian, Tiago Oliveira, Raquel Alexandre
- Also created by Joana Castro, Matheus Macena
- Choreographic Assistant Amalia Lima
- Dramaturgy Silvia Soter
- Artistic Collaboration and Images Sammi Landweer
- Light Design Nicolas Boudier
- Stage Management Magali Foubert, Baptistine Méral
- Music Excerpts of songs of the GUARANI MBYA PEOPLE / Village of Kalipety do T.I. indigenous territory / Tenondé Porã, sung and played during the indigenous demonstration in Brasilia in August 2021 for the recognition of their ancestral lands in danger
- Mixing Alexandre Seabra
- International Booking Colette de Turville
- Production Coordination Astrid Toledo
- Administration Jacques Segueilla
- Production Brazil Gabi Gonçalves / Corpo Rastreado
- Production Project Goethe-Institut Claudia Oliveira
- Secretary Gloria Laureano
- Teachers Amalia Lima, Sylvia Barretto, Valentina Fittipaldi
Co-produced by: Chaillot – Théâtre National de la Danse – Paris / Le CENTQUATRE – Paris / Festival d’Automne à Paris / Scène nationale Carré-Colonnes, Bordeaux Métropole / Le TAP – Théâtre Auditorium de Poitiers / Scène nationale du Sud-Aquitain / La Coursive, Scène nationale La Rochelle / L’Empreinte, Scène nationale Brive–Tulle / Théâtre d’Angoulême, Scène Nationale / Le Moulin du Roc, Scène nationale à Niort / La Scène Nationale d’Aubusson, Théâtre Jean Lurçat / l’OARA – Office Artistique de la Région Nouvelle-Aquitaine / Le Kunstenfestivaldesarts – Bruxelles / Theaterfestival – Basel / HAU Hebbel am Ufer – Berlin / Festival Oriente Occidente, Festival di danza contemporanea – Rovereto / Theater Freiburg / Julidans – Amsterdam / Teatro Municipal do Porto, DDD – Festival dias de dança and Lia Rodrigues Companhia de Danças, Association Lia Rodrigues-France with the support of Redes da Maré and Centro de Artes da Maré and the partners of the FONDOC (Occitanie).
With the support of the International Relief Fund for Cultural and Educational Organizations 2021 of the German Federal Foreign Office, the Goethe-Institut and other partners.
Lia Rodrigues is an associate artist of Chaillot – Théâtre national de la Danse and Le CENTQUATRE, France.