dyad Justine Doswell
An evocative duet filmed in the magnificent surroundings of Saint Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin.
From the show
"Expertly marshalling an intersection of influences, Doswell’s choreography skilfully orchestrates the disparate voices... in a variety of kinetic tableaux that transcend the everyday"
Eamon Carr on The Thing is?
A woman chosen among all women, revered in both Christianity and Islam. A link across time, culture and creed.
Explored through the liquid virtuoso of dance artists Salma Ataya and Justine Cooper, dyad delves into the complex nature of interconnection, twinned concepts and shared ideals.
Exquisitely captured on film by Luca Truffarelli, the performances unite with Andrew Clancy’s sculptural design, Paul Keogan’s chiaroscuro lighting, and Mary Barnecutt’s evocative cello to foreground the universality of the body as a sacred vessel and an extraordinary construction.
Commissioned by Dublin Dance Festival, dyad was due to be performed live as part of the 2021 Edition.
Enhance your Experience
As part of this event, you will get access to two short films:
- A recitation of the Holy Qur'an Surah Maryam (19:16-30) by Shaykh Dr Umar Al-Qadri, filmed in the Lady Chapel of Saint Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin by kind permission of the Dean, the Very Reverend Dr William Morton.
- A behind-the-scenes film that includes interviews with Justine Doswell and members of the creative team.
- Concept Justine Doswell
- Choreography Justine Doswell in collaboration with the cast
- Dancers Salma Ataya, Justine Cooper
- Director of Photography & Film Editing Luca Truffarelli
- Dramaturgy Katalin Trencsényi
- Music Composition & Performance Mary Barnecutt
- Lighting Design Paul Keogan
- Set Design Andrew Clancy
- Costume Design Katie Davenport
- Costume Supervision Monica Ennis
- Sound, Recording & Mix Sandra O'Mahony
- Preliminary Research & Development Salma Ataya, Ella Clarke, Justine Cooper, Millie Daniel Dempsey, Rebecca Reilly, Emily Kilkenny Roddy, Katalin Trencsényi
- Consultancy and Recitation Shaykh Dr Umar Al-Qadri (Chief Imam and Mufti, Islamic Centre of Ireland, and Chair of the Irish Muslim Peace and Integration Council)
- Additional Consultancy Imam Anwar Shah
- Consultancy Shaykh Dr Umar Al-Qadri, Imam Anwar Shah
- Mentorship Ella Clarke, John Scott under their Associate Artist 2021 programme
- Production Manager Lisa Mahony
- Produced by Irish Modern Dance Theatre
Recorded in Saint Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin by kind permission of the Dean, Very Rev Dr William Morton.
Funded by The Arts Council of Ireland | An Chomhairle Ealaíon with support from Dublin Dance Festival, Irish Modern Dance Theatre, Dance Limerick, LD Dance Shawbrook, Dance Ireland, Saint Patrick’s Cathedral and the Irish Muslim Peace and Integration Council.