A Love Supreme Salva Sanchis & Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker/Rosas
Irish Premiere. Dublin Dance Festival in partnership with the Abbey Theatre
An uplifting collision of legendary jazz and iconic dance
29—30 May 2020
A Love Supreme brings together two choreographers, Salva Sanchis and iconic Belgian artist Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker, in an uplifting meeting of music and dance based on the revered album by American jazz giant, John Coltrane.↓ Read more
€13 - €40 (conc. rates available)
Abbey Theatre, on the Abbey Stage
55 mins (no interval)
Share this event
From the show
“An hour full of grace and movement. Absolute magic.”
La Libre Belgique
“Coltrane by De Keersmaeker, freewheeling but structure intact.”
New York Times
“With this legendary album, in one of her rare incursions into the world of jazz, De Keersmaeker manages to combine the genius of Coltrane with the genius of these dancing bodies.”
La Libre Belgique
“These men are marvels.”
“You realise that this is some of the purest, most unfussy dancing to jazz music that you have ever seen.”
The Village Voice
“They demonstrate fragility, talent, the ode to life, meditation, energy, pain.”
La Libre Belgique
A Love Supreme brings together two choreographers, Salva Sanchis and iconic Belgian artist, Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker in an uplifting meeting of music and dance based on the revered album by American jazz giant, John Coltrane.
Coltrane’s music is renowned for its deceptively simple structure. In A Love Supreme (1964), which marked his spiritual and physical renaissance after overcoming his addictions, the saxophonist pushes the boundaries of every musical register to allow for complete freedom of improvisation. Translating his music into dance, Sanchis and De Keersmaeker expertly blend free improvisation and formal composition into a seamless and fluid choreography.
Originally created in 2005, this newly re-imagined version transforms A Love Supreme into a quartet for young male dancers where each embodies one of the four instruments in the music – the saxophone, the piano, the double bass, the drums. Breathing new life into the work, the dancers bring a distinctly vibrant and energetic quality to the piece that mirrors the vitality of Coltrane’s music.
Following the huge success and sold-out performances of Rosas danst Rosas at DDF2019, De Keersmaeker will make a welcome return to the Dublin Dance Festival and the Abbey Theatre with this invigorating collaboration.
- Choreography Salva Sanchis, Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker
- Created by Cynthia Loemij, Moya Michael, Salva Sanchis, Igor Shyshko
- Performers José Paulo dos Santos, Bilal El Had/ Robin Haghi (alternating), Jason Respilieux, Thomas Vantuycom
- Music A Love Supreme, John Coltrane
- Recording John Coltrane (tenor saxophone, vocals), McCoy Tyner (piano), Jimmy Garrison (bass), Elvin Jones (drums)
- Acknowledgement, Resolution, Pursuance & Psalm © Coltrane, J., © Jowcol Music, Inc. (Universal Music Publ. N.V.)
- Revised Lighting Design Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker, Luc Schaltin
- Lighting Design (2005) Jan Versweyveld
- Costumes: Anne-Catherine Kunz
- Rehearsal Director Bryana Fritz, Cynthia Loemij, Salva Sanchis
- Artistic Coordination and Planning Anne Van Aerschot
- Technical Director Joris De Bolle
- Costumes Coordinator Heide Vanderieck
- Technicians Arno Truyens, Bram Geldhof, Jonathan Maes, Marlies Jacques, Max Adams, Michael Smets, Quentin Maes, Sari-Lynn Kerkhofs, Wannes De Rydt
Produced by Rosas and coproduced by De Munt/La Monnaie (Brussels).
Rosas is supported by the Flemish Community and by Fondation BNP Paribas.