Dēmos Liz Roche Company & Crash Ensemble
Co-commissioned by Dublin Dance Festival and the Abbey Theatre
A moving tapestry of live music and dance exploring human connection.
11 Nov—13 Nov
DDF is delighted to present the premiere of an ambitious large-scale piece which marks the culmination of a collaboration between choreographer Liz Roche and composer David Coonan, developed from a suite of short films shared as part of the Summer 2021 Edition.↓ Read more
€25 full price / €20 conc.
60 mins (no interval)
From the show
"Fresh and immediate, the work offers hope and comfort."
★★★★ “Roche's gift is to sense how dance of its essence allows the body to speak for itself; articulate, nuanced and powerful."
The Irish Times
“Dance and music are straining to fully integrate; one would not properly function without the other."
★★★★ "Roche is a poet of movement, the body her language, which she meticulously articulates into shapes and forms."
The Arts Review
★★★★ “The movement is organic, softly moulded to the communication of bodies and minds... the strongest impression is the impact of the ensemble…They move and breathe almost as one.”
Sydney Morning Herald
Part gathering, part concert, part improvisation, this long-awaited live performance is about people gathering together in a time of fractured connections and shifting environments. It explores the desires and compulsions in the urge to move, the charge that circulates in a crowd, the connections between music and movement in shifting spaces of togetherness and separation.
Dēmos is performed by an exceptional cast of eight dancers from Liz Roche Company and musicians from Crash Ensemble, playing live and recorded. Breathtaking music and innovative design take centre stage alongside sublime choreography in this multi-disciplinary work.
- Choreographer & Director Liz Roche
- Composer David Coonan
- Dancers Justine Cooper, Kévin Coquelard, Lucia Kickham, Yumi Lee, Luke Murphy, Emily Terndrup, Mufutau Yusuf, Glòria Ros Abellana
- Musicians (Live) Kate Ellis (Cello), Brian Bolger (Guitar), Alex Petcu (Percussion)
- Musicians (Recorded) Larissa O'Grady, Macdara Ó Seireadáin, Barry O'Halpin, Máire Carroll
- Musical improvisations for 'Hand in Hand' and 'Landscape(s)' conceived in collaboration between the composer and musicians Kate Ellis and Brian Bolger
- Set & Costume Designer Katie Davenport
- Lighting Designer Sinead McKenna
- Projections José Miguel Jiménez
- Dramaturg Shane O'Reilly
- Music Producer & Sound Engineer Adrian Hart
- Photographer Steve O'Connor
- Production Manager Eamonn Fox
- Stage Manager Lisa Krugel
- Set Build Theatre Production Services
- Band Coordinator Jonathan Pearson