This event was part of our 2020 Edition
Doesdicon Tânia Carvalho / Dançando com a Diferença
A deeply atmospheric and inclusive portrayal of hidden strengths
Leading Portuguese choreographer, Tânia Carvalho, creates an ambitious piece for eight dancers of mixed abilities. An anagram of escondido (hidden), Doesdicon reveals the characteristics of each dancer - often unseen.↓ Read more
€22 full price / €18 conc.
Samuel Beckett Theatre
45 mins (no interval)
From the show
“Tânia delivers a world of her own, a new strangeness within the strangeness of bodies, resulting in a masterpiece of contemporary dance.”
Tanz im August Magazine
Pioneering company, Dançando com a Diferença (Dancing with a Difference), is internationally recognised for advancing the integration of people with disabilities in the arts and for presenting creative and ambitious productions. Doesdicon is no exception.
Here, they collaborate with one of Portugal’s leading choreographers, Tânia Carvalho to create an intriguing and atmospheric piece for eight performers of mixed abilities. Staying true to Carvalho’s multidisciplinary style, Doesdicon conjures references to dark fairytales and gothic painting. The piece reveals itself in its title - an anagram of escondido (hidden) - removing the choreographer from the spotlight to unveil the talents and characteristics of each performer, that often go unseen.
Unique and compelling, Doesdicon represents both excellence in contemporary dance and a remarkable success in inclusivity in the arts.
- Company Artistic Director Henrique Amoedo
- Choreography and Direction Tânia Carvalho
- Performers Joana Caetano, Telmo Ferreira, Diogo Freitas, Bernardo Graça, Luís Guerra, Maria João Pereira, Sara Rebolo, Isabel Teixeira
- Music Diogo Alvim
- Voice Tânia Carvalho, from Lumi Potete Piangere, by Giovanni Legrenzi
- Costume Designer Aleksandar Protic
- Lighting Design Tânia Carvalho, Maurício Freitas
- Technical Direction Anatol Waschke
- Executive Production and Communication Diogo Gonçalves
Dançando com a Diferença is sponsored by República Portuguesa, Direção Geral das Artes and Governo Regional da Madeira, Direção Regional de Educação, Direção Regional de Cultura, Câmara Municipal do Funchal.